The first Exchange Traded Funds (ETFs) tracking municipal bonds were launched in September 2007. Since then the municipal ETF market has grown to 40 ETFs representing over $30.5billion in assets under management.
Municipal Bond ETF Market Snap Shot:
- 40 ETFs all but one represents tax-exempt municipal bonds. There is one ETF tracking taxable municipal bonds.
- $30.5billion in ETF assets (4.4% of total ETF and mutual fund assets)
- 8 ETFs have assets over $1billion
- 16 ETFs have assets between $100million and $1billion
- 16 ETFs have assets of less than $100million
- 29 ETFs are passively managed (representing over 99% of assets)
- 11 ETFs are actively managed (representing less than 1% of municipal ETF assets)
Chart 1: Municipal ETF and Mutual Fund Assets:
Chart 2: Number of Municipal ETFs and Accumulated Assets:
Chart 3: Active & Passive Municipal Bond ETFs:
For more information on the municipal bond market performance please go to our website www.spindices.coom
Please also join me on LinkedIn: www.linkedin.com/in/james-j-r-rieger-9324558The posts on this blog are opinions, not advice. Please read our Disclaimers.